There are some things I never seem to hear about MoveOn.org. Please check it out and pass it on!from the media. I thought you should see this list from
10 things you should know about(but probably don't):
- voted against establishing a national holiday in honor of . Now he says his position has "evolved," yet he's continued to oppose key laws.1
- According to Bloomberg News, McCain is more hawkish than Bush on , and . Conservative columnist says McCain "will make Cheney look like Gandhi."2
- His reputation is built on his opposition to torture, but McCain voted against a bill to ban waterboarding, and then applauded for vetoing that ban.3
- McCain opposes a woman's right to choose. He said, "I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned."4
- The Children's Defense Fund rated McCain as the worst senator in Congress for children. He voted against the children's health care bill last year, then defended Bush's veto of the bill.5
- He's one of the richest people in a Senate filled with millionaires. reports he and his wife own at least eight homes! Yet McCain says the solution to the housing crisis is for people facing foreclosure to get a "second job" and skip their vacations.6
- Many of McCain's fellow Republican senators say he's too reckless to be commander in chief. One Republican senator said: "The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine. He's erratic. He's hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me."7
- McCain talks a lot about taking on special interests, but his campaign manager and top advisers are actually lobbyists. The Public Citizen says McCain has 59 lobbyists raising money for his campaign, more than any of the other presidential candidates.8
- McCain has sought closer ties to the extreme in recent years. The pastor McCain calls his "spiritual guide," Rod Parsley, believes America's founding mission is to destroy Islam, which he calls a "false religion." McCain sought the political support of right-wing , who believes was God's punishment for gay rights and called the "the Antichrist" and a "false cult."9
- He positions himself as pro-environment, but he scored a 0—yes, zero—from the League of Conservation Voters last year.10
is not who the Washington press corps makes him out to be. So forward this email to your personal network! And if you want stay in the loop on MoveOn's work to get the truth out about , sign up here:
1. "The Complicated History of and ," , April 3, 2008
2. "McCain More Hawkish Than Bush on
3. "McCain Sides With Bush On Torture Again, Supports Veto Of Anti-Waterboarding Bill," ThinkProgress, February 20, 2008
4. "McCain says
5. "2007 Children's Defense Fund Action Council® Nonpartisan Congressional Scorecard," February 2008
"McCain: Bush right to veto
6. "Beer Executive Could Be Next First Lady,"
"McCain Says Bank Bailout Should End `Systemic Risk,'" Bloomberg News, March 25, 2008
7. "Will McCain's Temper Be a Liability?,"
"Famed McCain temper is tamed,"
8. "Black Claims McCain's Campaign Is Above Lobbyist Influence: 'I Don't Know What The Criticism Is,'" ThinkProgress, April 2, 2008
"McCain's Lobbyist Friends Rally 'Round Their Man,"
9. "McCain's Spiritual Guide: Destroy Islam," Mother Jones Magazine, March 12, 2008
"Will McCain Specifically 'Repudiate' Hagee's Anti-Gay Comments?," ThinkProgress, March 12, 2008
"McCain 'Very Honored' By Support Of Pastor Preaching 'End-Time Confrontation With